Tel: +353 87 993 3451
|KEY SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
|AREA OF EXPERTISE
Business Strategist & Coach with over 25 years experience in design engineering, management consulting and business development. Has worked in senior management and management consulting roles, in various sectors, most recently in medical devices.
Supports clients in the following areas:
Growth Potential (www.growthpotential.ie) – Business Strategy & Coaching Sept 2010 – Present (6 yrs)
Owner / Business Strategist & Coach
- Supporting senior management teams to define Vision & Mission and develop Strategy for growth, including strategic planning. Clients include Enterprise Ireland, Dolmen, Apex Geoservices, BEC Consultants, WITS (Women in Technology & Science), Down Syndrome Ireland
- Supporting clients, including Festo Ireland, in Business Process Development and roll-out
- Supporting client organisations in Commercial Analysis & Business Coaching. Sectors include Environmental, Geotechnical, Design Services, Not for Profit, Mechanical Engineering & Life Sciences.
- Delivered over 650 Business & Executive Coaching hours within 12 organisations. Accredited Coach with Association for Coaching
- Is a member of Enterprise Ireland’s Mentor Panel & Advocates Panel
- Was a Growth Advisor on the Enterprise Ireland Platform4Growth programme, supporting SMEs to develop Growth Action Plans & Strategy
- Carried out Feasibility Study for lifesciences product concept for UCD
- Designed and Facilitated Workshops on Strategy, Innovation, Leadership & Inclusion / Diversity, incluing Unconsious Bias. Clients include Concern, Creganna Tactx, UCD, AIB, Engineers Ireland, Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland & Defence Forces
- Supporting leaders in reaching their full potential through Executive Coaching
WITS (Women in Technology & Science) Executive – Voluntary Organisation Jan 2013 – Present (4 yrs)
Vice Chair (2014 – Present)
Exec Member (2013)
- Voluntary membership organisation supporting women in STEM to reach their full potential. We run events, monitor and advocate for policy change and run projects.
Creganna Medical Devices (Galway, Ireland) – Medical Device Design & Manuf Nov 2003 – Nov 2008
External Consultant (Nov 2007 – Nov 2008) (1 yr)
- Managed joint venture & organic development initiatives, to drive business growth by expanding Creganna’s technology offering
VP Business Development (June 2006 – Nov 2007) (1.5 yrs)
- Responsible for Business Development through Acquisition
- Managed market analysis and identification, selection and commercial analysis of target companies
- Managed approach to target companies
- Managed due diligence and commercialisation of recently acquired multi-million euro company, critically analysing and challenging forecasts and proposed actions.
Customer Program Manager (Nov 2003 – June 2006) (2.5 yrs)
- Managed a customer facing team of Project Managers, Account Managers and Engineers, who successfully managed and resourced projects to meet customer needs over the full product life cycle
- Responsibility for building relationships with and the strategic development of our three largest customers, large multinationals, accounting for 70% of our business.
- Managed strategic initiatives devised to both protect and diversify outside Creganna’s core business, successfully meeting aggressive growth targets and recovering business lost to competitors. Included market development for existing & new products.
- As a member of the Management Team, instrumental in our business transformation, by defining vision, strategy, goals and objectives and translating those into action plans with measurable deliverables and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Managed the design and implementation of Creganna’s New Product Introduction and other Business Processes
- Regularly proposed and justified significant capital expenditure to support customer requirements
- Secured €9m+ per annum of next generation business with our largest customer, that had been lost to a competitor, by a 2.5 year project that met their requirements for an innovative materials solution
- Successfully engaged at senior levels within client organisations, opening up new markets and opportunities for Creganna and exceeding growth targets of 20% per annum in Creganna’s three largest accounts
- Negotiated and achieved 2 and 3 year Supply Agreements with customers that guaranteed Creganna >60% of revenue per annum
- Proposed and justified expenditure on a multi-million euro dedicated prototyping centre
Goal Zimbabwe – Humanitarian Aid Organisation April 2003 – Nov 2003 (0.5 yr)
Programme Manager, Manicaland (Voluntary)
- Simultaneously managed a Programme of 4 Emergency Food Distribution Projects, for up to 122,000 beneficiaries monthly, with a team of 45
- Collaborated and resolved issues with local and provincial power structures and UN World Food Programme in a highly politically charged environment. Diffused several situations, by both face to face meetings and working behind the scenes to leverage political influence
BSM (Dublin, Ireland) – Management and IT Consultancy May 1999 – Nov 2001 (2.5 yrs)
Consultant / Principal Consultant
- Successfully designed and project managed the implementation of Product Lifecycle Management software solutions and Innovation & New Product Introduction (NPI) processes for high profile clients
- Led executive level team at client company through selection of multi-million Euro ERP system
- Negotiated and sold Product Lifecycle Management Systems to senior management at client companies
- Managed the relationship with our overseas alliance partner, facilitating increased sales and smooth implementations
AMT (Dublin, Ireland) – Partnership between Enterprise Ireland and UCD Jan 1998 – May 1999 (1.5 yrs)
Senior Management Consultant
- Developed and implemented NPI Processes and Engineering Design Processes at client companies
- Managed problem solving and value analysis projects at client companies
- Successfully facilitated clients in introducing programme and project management methodologies
- Devised and managed innovative sales and marketing campaigns
Solids Technology (Dublin, Ireland) June 1996 – Dec 1997 (1.5 yrs)
Design & Manufacture of Sewage Treatment Machines
- Overall responsibility for Innovation & Product Design (belt presses for sewage and water treatment) with a team of 6
Previous Employers – Runtalrad, AT&T & DGDQA – Senior Design Engineer April 1988 – May 1996 (12 yrs)
- Product Innovation, New product Development & Process Design / Production Line Upgrade in Radiator, Telecomms & Defence Industries
Masters in Business Administration (MBA) 1993, Honours, Dublin City University (AT&T sponsored), Ireland
Bachelor of Engineering (BE) (Mechanical) 1987, Honours, University College Dublin, Ireland
Diploma in Business, Executive and Personal Coaching 2009, Coach Institute of Ireland
Diploma in Computers for Engineers 1998, Distinction, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Certificate in Humanitarian Assistance 2005, University College Dublin, Ireland
Certificate in Medical Sciences 2005, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Certificate – “The Analytics Edge” – Data Analytics, 2016, 94% – MITx, USA
MIEI (Member of Institution of Engineers in Ireland)
Accredited Coach, Association for Coaching, Ireland
Intermediate French – written
Very basic Spanish & German
I found the facilitation and direction by Mary Carroll through a discipline structured process invaluable for our senior management team. Apart from the practical aspects of questioning the fundamentals of your business model and revisiting our Value proposition, the great benefit is our refreshed culture and mind set with a jointly agreed strategy for growth…….the outcome is that everyone has already started implementing the strategy and this is already delivering significant growth in turnover and margins.
Sean McNulty, Managing Director, Dolmen
Mary was an executive coach with BEC Consultants Ltd and had an extremely positive influence on the individual managers she worked with and the company as a whole. She was able to assist managers with assessing and clarifying their role in the company and the role of work in their lives. At a company level ….she facilitated the management team producing a 5 year strategy for the company that we are now implementing……. I think we all feel that the strategy has provided the company with more direction and impetus.
Jim Martin, Managing Director, BEC Consultants Ltd
Mary Carroll coached us in developing a sales process aimed at delivering fast growth in sales of engineering solutions to the Medical Device sector. She did an excellent job in taking our value proposition for this sector on board and acting as a catalyst for the development of a robust sales process. This sales process, which included rolling out new and complex offerings, delivered a marked increase in sales in this sector. Our value proposition was far from clear until Mary analysed it and helped build it.
Mary exceeded expectations in that she moulded the team into a unit. She also took part in the early customer visits and played a key role in clarifying the offer and winning over the early customers.
I would recommend Mary’s skills and enthusiasm to other organisations. These skills are broad and include team coaching, process design, customer facing activities, drawing up achievable but demanding project schedules and innovative approaches to obstacles.
Mark McArdle, Managing Director, Festo Ireland
We worked with Mary on developing our strategy over the course of 4 months as part of Enterprise Ireland’s “Advocate Programme”. It was a truly great way to gain a trusted business advisor and be part of a dynamic process designed specifically for us by Mary. Her immense experience in business and consulting come through in her listening skills and guidance. Her questioning skills drew out and clarified our company’s purpose and goals together with developing a meaningful strategy & business plan.
Astute business insight and a propitious, supportive approach have made Mary’s sessions a rewarding investment in our business.
Ed Sheehan, Financial Controller, Apex Geoservices Ltd.